You already know that Helsinki is Finland’s capital city, right?
You might have even visited Helsinki already.
But how much you know about Helsinki?
Well, start with these 10 fun to know facts about Helsinki!
10 Fun to Know Facts About Helsinki
- Helsinki was founded in 1550 as a trading post
- Helsinki became capital on Finland in 1812
- After Iceland’s capital of Reykjavik, Helsinki is second northernmost capital in the world
- Helsinki Day is celebrated on June 12th
- Located on the shores of Gulf of Finland, Helsinki has a shoreline of 131 km and has 327 islands
- With a population of almost 660 000, Helsinki is Finland’s biggest city. About 12 % of the Finns live in the capital city
- Helsinki Metro, opened in 1982, is the northernmost underground railway network in the world
- The most popular event in the city is Lux Helsinki, an annual light festival with over half a million visitors
- Helsinki has 67 hotels with almost 24 000 beds (2021)
- The most popular tourist attraction is the Linnanmäki amusement park with about 700 000 visitors a year (2021)